Thursday, March 28, 2013

Writing With My Kids


SOURCE:  www.cocokelley.com
[No, this isn't my very own personal sofa, but I sure do like it, and I'd love to have all of those bookshelves!]
On Thursday mornings in Room 105, I write Thankful Thursday right above the day's date on the board where I post our objectives. Then, if there are no exams or other pressing items on our agenda, I ask my kids to begin that day's class by writing about at least three things they're thankful for.
This particular, fine Thankful Thursday, I took time to write along with them:

March 28, 2013

I curl up on the couch this morning after grabbing a much smaller bowl of Cheerios than I ever dreamed possible to be satisfied with (now, that in itself is something to be thankful for) and a cup of coffee, and I glance around the cushions and at strewn pillows to make sure my Thin Within workbook, my big ol’ flowery wire-bound journal, and my hot-pink leather-almost-clad Bible were all within arm’s reach.  (Dang, I need to remember to get the hot-glue out again for that cover that keeps coming off my preachin’ Bible.  You know I always say that every preacher-woman ought to have a hot-pink Bible.) 

After jotting a few notes into my journal asking Papa-God to slow down and focus my ADHD brain that is currently trying to run all circles all over and around my mental to-do list, I reach for the workbook, silently asking Papa-God to also slow down the clock this morning so that I’ll have to plant at least one or two perfect-for-this-day Scriptures into the fresh over-turned dirt of my soul . . .

I start at Hebrews 10:19 . . .
Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place  by the book of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.  23  Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 

I am breathing in this life-word and wondering what the next verse I’m supposed to look up, Romans 8:1, will yield to supplement it, and I smile a soft, thankful, ah-yes smile as I read, Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus . . .

Yes, You are life, itself, Papa.  Thank You.  Thank You.  Thank You.

With thankful grins,



Pamm

No comments:

Post a Comment