Is this a sweet face or what?
Okay, I know I'm her mother, but I'm usually pretty objective about my kids. (I know you're thinking, Yeah, right! Like a friend of mine's dad used to say, "Every ol' cow thinks her calf's the best . . . " but, really, I AM pretty objective!) And I can honestly say that 98 per cent of the time, this one -- Baby Daughter -- is about as sweet as her picture. (And, yes, I'll admit that the other 2 percent can be ferocious, but that's not what we're focusing on here.) Her sweetness and good-heartedness is why I'd like to knock some of her classmates in the head!
Okay, let me explain.
Baby Daughter works about thirty-eight hours a week (not forty because then her company would have to give her little perks like insurance, but that' a whole 'nother post), and goes to school at night. Cosmetology classes.
What on earth is it about the world of cosmetology that attracts so many immature females who each appear to be vying for the title of "Drama Queen, USA"?
Hold on -- before any of you jump on me for that last statement -- of course I know that there are exceptions. There are exceptions to every rule. But the for the past three semesters that BD has been in the cosmotology program of this school, it's been like watching her go back to junior high or high school, for Pete's sake. The cattiness, the gossip, the inconsideration, the name-calling, the unwillingness to help each other out . . . ugh! I'm telling you, it is ugly!
BD understands that there are these kinds of people everywhere, in all walks of life. (Heck, I teach with some! I go to church with some!) But when you have to deal with the same ones day in and day out, it's gets awfully tiresome. And BD was awfully tired last night when she came home.
One good thing, though. Between the sniffs and the tears, she said, "I tell you what, Mama, it sure makes me appreciate my real friends and my sisters . . . and people who are just nice and kind -- people who are NORMAL."
Ahhh, see, there's the rub.
We raised our kids to think that these things are normal!
Did we set our kids up for a fall? Maybe. Okay, yeah, I guess we did 'cause those traits sure don't seem to be the norm for most of the world. Still, it's a risk I'm glad we chose. Our kids' may get a bruised knee or a skinned elbow here and there, but their hearts are healthy.
Being nice. Exercising kindness. Helping. Showing compassion and care. Being fair-minded. Exercising generosity.
Simple acts. Cardio for the soul.